Class of 2020:
Congratulations on your accomplishments!
As you near your graduation from NSL, there are several tasks associated with graduation, your class composite photo, and preparation for taking the bar to complete. Please review the following information carefully and take the appropriate action. We will send reminders, but ultimately it is up to you to ensure you have completed the necessary steps for each item.
Graduation is 11 a.m. Saturday, May 23 at the Renaissance Nashville Hotel Ballroom, 611 Commerce St, Nashville, TN 37203. There are no tickets – everyone is welcome and the ballroom is theater-style open seating. Students must arrive one hour before the ceremony starts. We ask that all guests are seated by 10:30.
- Parking is available in lots and garages near the hotel.
- The ceremony lasts approximately one hour.
- A limited number of rooms are available in a block reservation for graduation weekend (May 22-24). You can reserve rooms online here or call 877-901-6632. Do not call the hotel directly to book.
If you do NOT plan to participate in the graduation ceremony, please email Beth McDonald.
Uchida Photography will be on campus Wedneday, February 5 and Thursday, February 6 from 4:00 to 6:30 p.m. to take portraits. To be included in your class composite, you must have your photo taken by Uchida. You do not need to buy any photos to be included in the class composite. Uchida offers multiple packages for any prints you may wish to purchase.
TO SCHEDULE YOUR APPOINTMENT: Follow this link to schedule your photo session. Each session is about 5 minutes, so you need to be prepared to take your photo at your scheduled time. This includes hair, makeup, and graduation gown (which will be supplied). You will review the photos at the time they are taken and make your selection.
- You will be taking your photo in a black graduation robe supplied by the School. This looks best with a white collared shirt.
- You will have the chance to view your images immediately after they are taken. Please make your choices carefully. If you are unable to select an image you are happy with, let the photographer know at that time and discuss having your photo taken again.
- When you register online for the photo session, you will be asked how your name should appear on the composite. Be certain to accurately provide this information – do you want your full name to appear, a shortened version of your given name (Jim instead of James?), do you want Jr., Sr., etc. included?
- All packages include your photo on the composite. Be sure to order prints of the composite and your individual portrait for parents, spouses, etc.
- The School encourages all students to have their photo taken for the composite. The School covers the cost of having the portrait taken – students need to pay only for prints they wish to purchase.
Keep in mind that work to create the composite does not begin until after final grades and graduating class are determined, so prints of the composite will first be available this summer. Your individual portrait prints will be delivered before graduation.
All students who wish to apply for admittance to the bar in Tennessee must have successfully completed the Multistate Professional Responsibility Exam with a score of 82 or higher. The exam is administered several times throughout the year. The next exam is on March 13 and students must register by February 12. Registration is available here.
The School will host an MPRE preparation course on Saturday, February 22 at 9 a.m. for any student interested in extra preparation. Chuck Shonholtz will teach the class – there is no fee.
CAPS & GOWNS
Graduates will rent gown, tam, and hood for the graduation ceremony from Herff Jones online here . Announcements are available for purchase from the company as well. Order by March 20, 2020 to avoid additional charges.
The regalia will be delivered to the School the week of April 27, and you will receive an email letting you know when it’s available for pickup. You are responsible for picking up your gown and tam from the NSL office. You will receive your hood as part of the commencement ceremony.
Please be advised that the garments must be returned to the Nashville School of Law within one week after graduation. You may return them to NSL staff at the hotel following the ceremony, or you may keep them that day and drop them off at the school later in the week.
LAW DEGREE VERIFICATION FORMS
In order to be considered to take the Bar Exam, you must complete a law degree verification form, found on the Board of Law Examiners’ website.
Fill out the top of each page, have it notarized, and return the original to Susan Dulin, who will file it with the Board of Law Examiners. Please allow enough time for the School to process it before returning it to the Board of Law Examiners by the deadline.
PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEOGRAPHY DURING GRADUATION CEREMONY
Professional photographers will be at the event to take several photos of every graduate as they cross the stage. Photographers also will take candid shots throughout the day and be available to take group photos of students, your family, etc. after the ceremony. All photos will be available for purchase on the photographer’s website.
A professional videographer will record the ceremony and videos will be available for purchase as well.
Herff Jones (Tam & Gown)
Board of Law Examiners
Nashville, TN 37219
Phone: (615) 741-3234