INFORMATION FOR STUDENTS WHO DESIRE TO TAKE EXAMS USING EXAMSOFT’S EXAMPLIFY 2019-2020
The option of using a laptop computer for exams is extended to you as a convenience and a privilege. You assume the risk of equipment and power failure. If a problem arises, and all or part of your exam cannot be recovered, the Registrar has the final decision about how to handle your case. You are responsible for the connection from your laptop to the classroom electrical outlets. Any attempt to tamper with Examplify’s security features or any related function or feature of the program will be reported to the Honor Council.
If you are uncomfortable with the Examplify software, your laptop, or this policy, you should handwrite the exam.
There will be a new macOS (Catalina) released later this year. ExamSoft will not be compatible with the new OS for approximately one month while ExamSoft tests the new system. Do not update the computer you have Examplify on until after the program has been proven compatible with Catalina.
PREPARING YOUR COMPUTER
Prior to the exam, you should:
- Confirm that your laptop meets Examplify’s minimum specifications which may be found at examsoft.com/nsl.
- Ensure that there is plenty of hard drive space on your laptop.
- Before downloading and installing the Examplify software, instruct your personal firewall (if one is installed on your laptop) to treat www.examsoft.com as a trusted website.
- Scan your laptop for viruses and spyware.
- Configure your computer to be able to automatically access the School’s wireless network.
- Disable the “install automatic updates” feature, the hibernation feature, and Microsoft® Windows Defender if it is installed on your laptop. These features may be turned on immediately after taking an exam.
- Verify that your computer is set to the correct date and time.
INSTALLING THE LATEST VERSION OF EXAMPLIFY
You must install the latest version of the Examplify software on your laptop prior to the exam.
To install Examplify on your laptop:
- Navigate to examsoft.com/nsl and login to the “Exam Takers” area. Supported browsers are FIREFOX and GOOGLE CHROME. Please use one of these browsers to download the program.
- Your student ID is your student number. These AND your password are included at the bottom of this email. You may change your password after logging in under the “MY ACCOUNT” button located under the gear icon in the top right hand corner.
- You can also enter your phone number under MY ACCOUNT so that you will receive text confirmations when you successfully upload an exam.
- Under the “Examplify” tab, there is a step-by-step install process, for downloading the software; ·Please note the operating systems that Examplify supports under Step 1. Generally, new operating systems will become supported less than two weeks after they are released.
- After following the instructions, launch the Examplify program from your desktop, using your ID and password and Institution ID, and register the software;
Your Institution ID is nsl.
MOCK EXAM (TUTORIAL)
You are strongly advised to take a practice exam using Examplify before taking an exam to assure that your laptop is compatible; it should take no more than five minutes to complete. The password for this exam is “ExamSoft101” without the quotation marks. Normally, the instructor will provide the password for each exam at the beginning of the exam night. The practice session will verify that the security features in the current software are compatible with your computer. Taking the practice exam will also enable you to familiarize yourself and become comfortable with the helpful controls and options built into Examplify.
Make sure you have downloaded the Examplify exam file before the exam. Launch Examplify. Select the exam or exams you desire to download from the list and click “Download Exam.” If you do not see the exam you are scheduled to take, click on the “Refresh Exam List” button. Download all exams as soon as they are available.
IN-CLASS PREPARATIONS PRIOR TO THE EXAM
On the day of the exam, you should:
- Arrive approximately 30 minutes prior to exam time.
- Ensure that the power cable is securely connected to your laptop and that the power indicator light shows that your laptop is receiving power.
- Turn on your computer.
- Turn off or mute the sound on your computer. If your laptop makes noise during the exam, you will be asked to turn off your computer and to handwrite the exam.
- Launch Examplify and click on the scheduled exam in the list. The password to access the test will be written on the board at the front of the room where the exam will be taken.
- Take a moment to review the exam options and settings as they populate beneath the window. Once you have started Examplify, you are responsible for the information it contains. Read through all the screens until you reach the screen requiring you to click a box to continue. At this point, you must stop and wait for further instructions.
- When instructed by the professor or proctor, click the box and click the green “Start Exam” bar. You will not be permitted to delay the start of an exam if you are having computer problems or problems launching Examplify.
TAKING THE EXAM
Exams will contain multiple-choice questions, essay questions, or a combination of both. Essay questions must be answered in separate files using numbers that correspond to the number of the question in the exam document.
COMPLETING THE EXAM AND EXITING EXAMPLIFY
You will exit Examplify when you have completed all the exam questions to your satisfaction or when you are instructed to stop. Any student who continues after the instruction to stop has been given will be reported to the Honor Council. You must exit Examplify before leaving the exam room.
Exit Examplify by opening the “Exam Controls” option and by selecting “Submit Exam.” The software will exit out of the exam view, and you will then see a screen containing a warning that you are closing out of the exam. To confirm that your are exiting, select the check box that you are ready to upload the exam file and then select “Upload Exam.” You should upload your answer file immediately after exiting your exam. If you experience any upload issues, you MUST report those issues immediately. If the upload was successful, you will see a green confirmation screen. Once you have reached this screen, your exam is finished, and you will not be able to re-enter the exam. You should not reformat your hard drive or delete the Examplify folder until after your grades have been posted.
COMPUTER PROBLEMS AND TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE DURING AN EXAM
It is your responsibility to be proficient in using your laptop and the Examplify software prior to an examination. Limited technical support will be available during an exam. If your laptop freezes or otherwise malfunctions during an exam, the School strongly recommends that you immediately notify the instructor or proctor, shut down your laptop, and hand write the rest of the exam. The instructor will provide you a blue book for this purpose. We will recover the typed portion of the exam up to the last 60 seconds from when the malfunction occurred.
If you desire to attempt to resume typing in Examplify, do the following:
- Turn off your laptop (press and hold the power button for several seconds) and restart it.
- If you are taking a secure exam, you will be returned to within the last 60 seconds from when the problem began. If this procedure fails or if you think it will take more than two minutes to restart your computer, you should ask for a blue book and begin to hand write the remainder of your exam immediately.
No additional time will be given for computer malfunctions.
The Examplify website contains a great deal of helpful information regarding the use of Examplify. If you require additional assistance installing or using Examplify, contact Chip Loser.